Tuesday, March 11, 2014

Rustic Wooden Table Runner



Hey there friends! So...if you follow me on Facebook (and I dearly hope that you do), then you saw how much progress we made with tiling our kitchen. I won't go into the details of why, but needless to say, home improvements are tricky. On the bright side, we have a safe, warm house on these blustery, winter/spring days and the days are getting longer.

I desperately needed a project since our kitchen is once again at a standstill. And this is what I came up with: a rustic wooden table runner.



I kinda dig it. It didn't take much time or money (about $10 for the lumber and some supplies I already had), and I have something new for our dining room table or coffee table. Here's how I made it:

Rustic Wooden Table Runner
Nap Rating = 2 naps (not including dry time)

Tools & Supplies
  • one 1 x 12 x 4
  • foam brush
  • wood stain (I used Minwax in Driftwood)
  • old rag
  • Chevron Frog Tape
  • White latex paint
  • Plastic cup or bowl
  • Plastic spoon or paint stirrer
  • Paintbrush
  • Palm sander or sand paper

Steps
  1. First, wipe down the surface of your board to make sure it's clear of dust and dirt.
  2. Using the foam brush, brush on the stain in the direction of the wood grain. Wipe off excess. Repeat until you reach your desired shade.
  3. Let dry overnight.
  4. Tape off stripes with the Frog Tape.
  5. Pour a little paint in the plastic cup or bowl, add water, and mix with the spoon or paint stirrer. I used a 1:1 mixture. You won't need a lot of paint for this project. Maybe just a tablespoon or two.
  6. Paint the stripes.
  7. Remove the Frog Tape after just a few minutes, while the paint is still wet.
  8. Let dry completely.
  9. Sand the whole top to distress the paint and stain.
  10. You could use polyurethane to seal the whole thing at this point, which I would recommend if you're going to use this project outdoors, but I didn't bother with this step for now.

Hope you like it! I think it looks kinda spring-y, especially with green and white accents.



I can see yellow, too. Hmmmm....Until next time!

21 comments:

  1. Why have I never thought to make a wooden table runner?! Love this!
    Featuring you today from the Creative Connection Party :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, thank you, Meredith! Have a great Monday!

      Delete
  2. I love that its so pretty yet so simple. GREAT JOB! Thanks so much for linking up last week at Creativity Unleashed. Featuring you tomorrow on the blog and hope to see you back for another great link party. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Jocie! :) Hope you have a great weekend!

      Delete
  3. That turned out great! Thanks for sharing! Pinning to the Monday Funday board!

    ReplyDelete
  4. This is really a great idea. Unlike other table runners, I bet this will look even better with age.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I never thought of that, but that IS an added benefit. Thanks for pointing that out, Carmody! ;)

      Delete
  5. Such a great idea! I would love it if you joined and contribute your awesome posts at my link party at City of Creative Dreams on Fridays :D Hope to see you there at City of Creative Dreams Link Party

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much...I'll have to check you out!

      Delete
  6. I LOVE, LOVE, LOVE this! Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  7. What a great project... love the rustic vibe! I'm featuring your table runner in my Inspire Me Monday features tomorrow. Thanks so much for joining our party!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Thanks, Maryann! Love the new link party, btw! ;)

    ReplyDelete
  9. You ROCK for linking up this week to Tip Me Tuesday {high fives} Just a heads up, Tip Junkie can help you index your blog more effectively if you upload at least 2 images, 2 steps, and blog post URL into your Tip Junkie craft room! Simply login and click “add a project” on your profile page to get started. {yep I’ve got your back!} ~ Laurie {a.k.a. the Tip Junkie}
    Link ~ http://www.tipjunkie.com/how-to-add-a-craft-room-project-on-tip-junkie

    ReplyDelete
  10. Hi
    Awesome ! i really found very informative article here and bookmarked this blog. Thank you

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for visiting! Hope you come back often!

      Delete

I love reading your comments...and I read each and every one! Since you've taken the time to visit my blog, I'll take the time to respond. Thanks! :)

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...