Tuesday, November 19, 2013

Merry & Bright Pallet Art



Hey guys! Well, judging from the number of hits my Craft of the Week post on rustic stars for Christmas has generated on Pinterest, I'm guessing you liked them. I decided to modify the ribbon star a little to make this pallet art of my own.

Merry & Bright Pallet Art
Nap Rating = 3 naps (but you can't really pound nails while little ones are sleeping, I guess)

Tools & Supplies
  • pallet
  • stain
  • foam brush
  • old rag
  • printer
  • tape measure
  • painter's tape
  • pencil
  • 10 1-inch roofing nails
  • hammer
  • about 4 yards of wide ribbon
  • white paint pen

Steps
  1. With the foam brush, stain the pallet the color of your choice. Wipe excess off with an old rag and let dry completely.
  2. Meanwhile, measure the height and width of your pallet to determine how large the star should be.
  3. On your computer, find a clip art image of a star, or use Publisher like I did. I created a new document roughly the size of my pallet and inserted a star shape, dragging its corners until it filled the space. Then I printed it out in panels.
  4. When the pallet is dry, reassemble your star shape on the pallet and use painter's tape to tack in place. You will only use this to determine where the nails should go.
  5. Hammer in the nails at each apex of the star. Remove the sheets of paper.
  6. Leaving a tail of ribbon at the top, start wrapping the ribbon around each nail, working in order from nail to nail to make the star shape. You should be left with extra ribbon at the top so you can tie a bow.
  7. Now, print off the words you want in the middle and transfer them to the pallet using the pencil rubbing technique. (I've detailed how to do this sooo many times, I'm just going to refer you to this link to see how to do this.)
  8. Fill in the words with a paint pen.



If you like this, check out my Bicycle Pallet Art, too! Until next time...

22 comments:

  1. This is a gorgeous, rustic project, I LOVE it!! xo

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey! What a super fun idea! This star is like the string art from the 70's!!!
    YAY!!
    :)
    hugs x, Crystelle
    Crystelle Boutique

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah, I never thought of that! Thx for visiting, Crystelle!

      Delete
  3. Replies
    1. Thank you so much! Have a great holiday season!

      Delete
  4. Replies
    1. Thank you so much, Yana! Have a great holiday!

      Delete
  5. I pinned that same star pallet that was your inspiration and have been thinking about doing a similar project. I love your take on it!

    ReplyDelete
  6. LOVE this pallet art! That bright red star is gorgeous. Feature your Merry and Bright in this week's PoPP Spotlight. Thanks for linking up.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much, Maryann! I value your opinion!

      Delete
  7. This is so lovely and simple - thanks so much for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Replies
    1. Thank you so much, Lorie! Have a great weekend!

      Delete
  9. I love this star! I am a sucker for easy projects that look like they weren't...and anything red! Pinning! Thanks so much for sharing at our Holiday Link Party! :) Kim @ Exquisitely Unremarkable

    ReplyDelete
  10. Replies
    1. Thank you so much!! Hope you're enjoying the season.

      Delete

I love reading your comments...and I read each and every one! Since you've taken the time to visit my blog, I'll take the time to respond. Thanks! :)

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...