Thursday, June 20, 2013

Painted French Linen Table Runner



Well, hello there! Wow, it's been a long day. But all in all, a good one. I managed to use the pockets of free time we did have between a lengthy doctor's appointment, errand-running and unpleasant household chores like cleaning the fish tank, to squeeze in some soccer practice in the front yard with my little ladies and a cuddle on the couch to read Charlotte's Web. I was also able to finish the little bit of painting I had left on our picnic table and wheel it out to the back yard. And I'm so glad, because I'm really excited to share it with you!

So the story behind this picnic table is short but sweet. It was my grandparents', and it lived under a tree near their shed and burn barrel out on "the farm." We had lots of fried chicken on that table as I recall. I had always kinda wondered what happened to it after my grandma moved into town. And then one day, she mentioned that she wanted the barn out at the farm cleaned out so I asked her what was in it. She rattled off a few things she thought maybe I'd want, and then said, "Oh, and that old picnic table no one wants." Huh?! I want it!

But it wasn't in great shape. Here are the benches.



They were kinda coming apart, so my husband screwed and nailed them together to make them sturdy again. And I decided to paint it white. But that's kinda boring. I mean, I can't very well blog about a picnic table I painted white. "Wow!" you'd all say. "How inventive!" So I started thinking about different ways to decorate a picnic table and how I could do a post about that. As I was brainstorming table runners, I kept imagining one with a blue French linen stripe. And that was when I decided just to paint one on. Hey, this way I don't have to bring it in when it rains, and it won't matter if someone spills something on it.

I didn't need any special tools to achieve this effect; however, I did pressure wash it first to make sure all the dirt and grime was off, and to wash away any redwood stain that I could. In my mind, this allowed me to skip sanding it. Afterwards, I primed it with this:



To prevent overspray while doing the stripes, I used newspaper to cover the parts of the table I wanted to remain white, and taped it down securely. Then I taped off and sprayed the stripes with this:



Finally, I put on one coat of this (in Rhinestone):



So here it is again. Sorry I only have the one picture. As I said, I only just finished it, and the light wasn't the best when I snapped the pic. I hope to get some prettier photos of it decked out for our July 4th party. I hope to eat some fried chicken on it this summer, too!

72 comments:

  1. This is too cool! When I first saw the picture I thought it was burlap you had painted the stripes on! Looks good!
    Selene @ Restoration Beauty

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Selene! Yeah, I realized later that I should've called it a Painted French Linen Picnic Table, rather than a runner because that is what it sounds like I did. Anyway, I'm glad you liked it!

      Delete
  2. Wow, what a great idea! That looks amazing!!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Val - I LOVE this!! What a great idea, and I love the fact that Grandma French's table will once again be home to more fried chicken and little girl giggles!! :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Aw, thanks, Aunt Karen! We really love it under our tree. :)

      Delete
  4. Oh I am in LOVE with this! Great job! Pinning! :) Happy Summer! Bonnie

    ReplyDelete
  5. Great redo!! Sharing this on Facebook today, love it!!

    xo, Tanya
    twelveOeight

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh, wow, Tanya, thank you! Love your blog, too!

      Delete
  6. Wow, what a wonderful job on the picnic table. I would have all my meals on that table.
    Have a wonderful weekend,
    Bev
    @ Eclectic Red Barn

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. LOL, if it ever stops raining around here, we will! Thx for stopping by!

      Delete
  7. This looks awesome! Would love to have you link this up at our summer-themed, Ladies Only Blog Share! Visiting from the Pity Party!

    http://mommifried.com/ladies-only-blog-share-link-party-funtastical-summer/

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Crystal! I'll have to check that out! :)

      Delete
  8. love this look - super cute and well done
    thanks for sharing
    Fiona x

    ReplyDelete
  9. Wow! This looks amazing!! Love the grainsack look! Jenna @ Rain on a Tin Roof

    ReplyDelete
  10. This is so awesome!! We are looking for a picnic table and this would be an awesome way to spruce up a used one! Pinning!
    Heidi @ handmadefrenzy.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  11. This is so cool!! I love it!

    Shannon@SewSweetCottage

    ReplyDelete
  12. Nice make-over! The stripes are cool!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Love this! I think Ana White has plans for a picnic table. Hmm, I see a project for my hubby. Love your story and how you painted the table. Here is to many al fresco meals (with fried chicken) in your future. : )

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for taking the time to visit and leave your comment, Cheryl. Have a great week!

      Delete
  14. This is beautiful! I love how it classy it looks without being over the top. Definitely showing my husband this. :)

    ReplyDelete
  15. This looks great! It looks like burlap when you first look at the picture. ;-)
    Blessings,
    Kim @ Curtain Queen

    ReplyDelete
  16. I love this - so cute if I had a picnic table I would do this...but I do have a dinning room table that might be getting a coat of paint. Thanks for the inspiration!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh, I'd LOVE to see this on a dining room table! If you do it, please share! :)

      Delete
  17. Love this look!!!! Pinned:) http://www.sewsweetvintage.com/2013/06/summer-chalk-boards.html

    ReplyDelete
  18. What a beauty! How nice that you have restored beauty to something that holds such sentimental value! I love it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Your comment means so much to me. Thanks for visiting!

      Delete
  19. What a great idea, and it adds so much character!! I would love to have you join my Paint Party going on now! startathome.blogspot.com
    Brooke

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'll have to check that out, Brooke. Thanks for visiting!

      Delete
  20. This looks amazing! Can't believe it is the same table.
    Sherri@MadeFromPinterest.net

    ReplyDelete
  21. This post is monumental! Super genius.
    www.minnesotajunker.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  22. Oh my gosh! Such a fun look for summer!! I can't believe you used spray paint, wow!! Looks awesome:)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I love spray paint so much I think I'll marry it. :) lol...thx for coming by.

      Delete
  23. What a beautiful and creative picnic table makeover! LOVE IT!!! pinning now and sharing on FB on Tuesday!
    Thanks so much for linking up for Habitat. Good Luck and hope to see you back next week!

    ReplyDelete
  24. AWESOME! I have an old picnic bench in the back yard (that also needs to be screwed together) and I'm so doing this!
    This is fabulous! Thanks for sharing!
    Susan

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'd love to see how yours turns out, Susan!

      Delete
  25. Beautiful!!! I never would have thought to paint a runner on a picnic table. Genius :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much, Stacy!! I'm honored by your visit.

      Delete
  26. Replies
    1. Thank you, Sharon!! Have a wonderful week...

      Delete
  27. Love it! It will be great for your 4th of July.

    ReplyDelete
  28. Suzanne of Simply Suzannes at Home

    Oh. my. gosh. I LOVE your table!
    I don't think I've ever seen a picnic table look so attractive!
    Thanks for the inspiration!

    ReplyDelete
  29. I love this! So pretty. Glad I saw this over at the Give Me the Good link party. I"m pinning it! sharon

    ReplyDelete
  30. LOVE stripes and your sweet table! Pinned to my beachy board:) I posted anchors aweigh to Tin Roof:)

    ReplyDelete
  31. I love this..I am a sucker for anything grain sack inspired.
    tammy

    ReplyDelete
  32. You had me at grain sack! I love it! Thank you so much for sharing at Give Me The Goods Monday!
    Jamie @ So Much Better With Age

    ReplyDelete
  33. So cool! I love seeing unique ideas! Your table is my pick for features at Give Me The Goods!
    Amber@ Dimples & Pig Tales

    ReplyDelete
  34. This is just what I've been looking for! I also have my grandparents' old picnic table and needed some ideas and this is perfect! I'm going to paint it white (to match the trim on my house), use grey instead of the tan color to match my siding and then use black instead of the blue to match my doors and shutters. Thank you for sharing! I'm so inspired now!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yay! Please share how yours turns out!

      Delete
    2. I will let you know how it turns out. Your post is so helpful and informative! Your table looks so elegant and classy, no need for a table cloth! I'm SO excited to start this project this week! :)

      Delete
  35. You are so clever - I am going to do this this weekend, thank you for the inspiration!!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. How'd it turn out? Would love to see it!

      Delete

I love reading your comments...and I read each and every one! Since you've taken the time to visit my blog, I'll take the time to respond. Thanks! :)

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...