Thursday, January 17, 2013

Same Door, New Look



Hi guys! Well, I always hope to have my posts done first thing in the morning these days, but I was still finishing up this project a few hours ago. I can't take credit for most of it, though. My husband did the heavy lifting on this one...I just painted.

So the dillio is this: we have done most of our foyer over by this point. So far, we've put in a new front door, new flooring, we put new doors on one closet and eliminated another in favor of a mudroom-type-space, wallpapered the half-bath, and added a large mirror, entry shelf and an antique, upholstered trunk. Whew. But the thing is, I kept staring at the steel door to our garage whenever I sat on our sectional in my favorite spot. And it was dingy, dented, completely plain, and had a faux-brass knob. Ew.

So I had the thought to add molding to the door to make it look like it was a raised-panel door (which is what my husband said they were called...I had no idea). And it worked! We located some molding that is flat on one side so it could be easily attached to the door, and my husband got to work. You can see his process in the pictures below.









Now, I'm not a carpenter. I should learn how to miter corners and such, but since my better half can do it so easily and quickly, I haven't been too motivated to figure it out. He did take the door off its hinges, and used the measurements from our bathroom door (which is right next to the garage door), to mark out where the molding should go. After cutting the lengths and mitering the corners, he used Liquid Nails to just glue it on. Since its a steel door, that was really the best option.

Finally, I primed and painted it. I also spray painted the door knob in hammered bronze. To make this easier, I stuck the stem of each knob in some floral foam so I could spray all sides without having to lay them down and risk smudging them. And here is the finished side-by-side:



We both were quite surprised at how this dramatically changed the "class-factor" of our foyer. What was once an eyesore, is now an integrated element of our foyer. It no longer looks like a 1970s builder-grade door, that's for sure. But we only spent about $40 to upgrade it, so that made us both happy.

37 comments:

  1. Wow the transformation is amazing! I have a few plain ugly doors myself...I will have to try this! You have just inspired me:)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Again, you amaze me!!! It looks fantastic.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Love it. I have been thinking of doing this myself. Thanks for inspiring me. x Julie

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for stopping by and taking the time to comment, Julie!

      Delete
  4. We have the same door in our family room. I will absolutely be upgrading ours. Thanks for the idea!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Outstanding, what a difference on your door. If I didn't see it for myself I'd have sworn you had the "good" door in the first place. Some people know how to paint doors to make them look the way your "new" door looks but I like the idea of the moulding better.
    We have the plain flat doors thruout our house and I have to say I really dislike how they look, they're cruddy brown of top of it, UGH. They look like what they are, cheapy doors. We have a mfg. home so they're really cheapy. Whomever ordered this house didn't pay extra for some of the better added extras. They did put a window in mstr. bathroom which I love but no linen closet, anywhere. My dear talented hubs built a unit to put toiletries, towels on which sits under the lovely window. He also built shelves over the toilet
    cubby. I'm gonna print out how your did your door and show it to him. Will have to wait til he can work on back deck in warmer weather but I can wait for that. We don't have a garage or basement.
    Glad it worked out for you, happy fixing up.

    ReplyDelete
  6. wow--that looks great! I'd never have guessed it wasn't "real" :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. WOW what an AWESOME idea!!! I would never have thought of this, it looks fabulous!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I have often thought about doing this and just never have - you've totally motivated me to get on it! Pinning!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Great idea. It makes the old door looks so much better.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Wow! Excellent project. Talk about 'bang for your buck'!!!

    ReplyDelete
  11. What a difference that makes! It totally makes the room and door look better. Just pinned!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Good thinking! It looks great...no more plain jane. :)
    Kelly

    ReplyDelete
  13. You are a gem!!! We are moving and have those ugly flat, plain doors. I just said to my husband over the weekend, "I think I'm going to make fake panels to dress up the doors". I am sooooo happy I came across your blog. It was so meant to be!!!

    I'm having a STRUT YOUR STUFF Social hop. I'd love for you to hop on over, grab a button and come show off your best projects. Or, just come link up your blog!!

    http://mydailyphotojourney.blogspot.com/2013/01/strut-your-stuff-social-hop.html

    I'm also looking for Pinterest Pinners to feature every week. If you are on Pinterest and are interested in being featured come link up! Who knows you might meet some other great pinners and gain a few great ideas.

    http://mydailyphotojourney.blogspot.com/2012/12/looking-for-pinners.html

    ReplyDelete
  14. Great idea! Had to pin this one :-)

    ReplyDelete
  15. looks amazing! I really need to update our interior doors!!

    ReplyDelete
  16. Such a difference!! I was wondering if you had to caulk the edges of the trim before you painted??

    ReplyDelete
  17. An amazing transformation!!! I did this on my kids doors many many years ago - and everyone thought we had bought new doors!
    XOX

    ReplyDelete
  18. That is a fantastic transformation. :) Megan

    ReplyDelete
  19. This is such a great idea! Pinning. :)

    Newest follower, would love for you to follow back @toddlindsey.com

    ReplyDelete
  20. HiYa!!!

    You did a great job!!! It's amazing how a little change makes a huge difference. I wonder...If attaching photo frames would work. Be different anyways.

    Have a great weekend!!!!!

    Pam

    ReplyDelete
  21. Amazing difference! Great job!

    ReplyDelete
  22. Wow! That's amazing! It totally made it look more classy. Well done! I was looking at plain doors in the classifieds over the weekend for a diy desk...I like your version better. :) Visiting from Skip to my lou

    ReplyDelete
  23. Wow, what a fantastic idea and it looks terrific. I just love it!

    ReplyDelete
  24. It’s amazing how simple improvements can create such a big difference on your entryway. You’ve certainly enhanced the aesthetics of your door. It looks more sophisticated, and it also changed the atmosphere of the entryway. Kudos, Val!
    -Francisco Close

    ReplyDelete
  25. I am so doing this to ANY unsightly door in my new home. In fact, I love you for this idea so much because where me n the kids are moving too, we have some UUUUUUUGLY flat panel (?) top cabinets. I dont know what the owner was thinking, but he is going to love me by the time I'm done. I am so for a completed look and this is an awesome project, cant wait to get in there and get started. You're awesome, you n the hubby. Go Girl!

    From: Not so Anonymous, Tee Tee in Delaware ;)

    ReplyDelete
  26. The renovation you did on your door is genius! It's easy and cheap. I'm no carpenter, but I can see that your husband did a great job with this project. I'm sure you're happy with the finished product. It was a nice idea you've shared with us too. Thank you!
    William Gulliver

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for seeing the beauty of this project, William (i.e. the ease and inexpensive factors!) We are very happy with it. I'm glad you dropped by...come again soon!

      Delete
  27. It’s a simple thing, but it does wonders to the overall look of the door, yes? If you look closely, you’ll notice that the design seems to fit the other door’s grooves; it’s like they would stick together like Lego.

    Terry

    ReplyDelete

I love reading your comments...and I read each and every one! Since you've taken the time to visit my blog, I'll take the time to respond. Thanks! :)

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...