Tuesday, January 29, 2013

Cozy Felt Flower Wreath



Hi y'all! (Yes, I'm from Ohio, but for some reason, I bust out with the y'all every once in awhile.) Hope you're having a great week so far.

Well, it's balmy and spring-like today but I couldn't wait to show you my cozy felt flower wreath anyway. I made it with subdued, wintry colors and in my opinion, it looks great with our gray house. I've seen these yarn-wrapped wreaths ALL OVER Pinterest and blog-land, and have been wanting to try one for quite some time. The possibilities are seriously endless. The process was easy, albeit time-consuming, so I attached my felt flowers with Velcro coins with the thought that I can accessorize it differently with each season or holiday. I don't think I want to wrap another wreath form anytime soon, so I'm glad I used a neutral color for the yarn. And I have to mention, being the thrifty gal that I am, that I spent $4 on this project! To be fair, that's mostly because I already had a lot of leftover felt, the yarn left over from my "nesting" bowl project, the adhesive, and the Velcro. But I'm guessing that if you read this blog, you've got a lot of this stuff around, too.

Cozy Felt Flower Wreath
Nap Rating = 3 naps

Tools & Materials
  • Wreath form (I used the straw kind because it was only $1.99 at Jo-Anns, but these are messier. If you go this route to save money, just do yourself a favor and only unwrap the plastic a little at a time, so you can keep the mess to a minimum.)
  • Hot glue gun
  • Scissors
  • Skein of yarn
  • Felt squares
  • Fabri-Tac (optional...you could use a needle and thread or regular glue, but this is WAY easier)
  • Velcro coins (optional...you could use hot glue)
  • 2 yards of satin ribbon


Steps
  1. Secure the end of your yarn to the wreath form with some hot glue and start wrapping. I found it easier to cut several feet of yarn and wrap just that, then secure the end with hot glue and start again with a new piece. It just wasn't as cumbersome for me as handling the whole skein, but you'll find a rhythm and do it your own way, I'm sure. It's a lot of wrapping, so you'll have plenty of time to figure out what works best for you.
  2. Once you've wrapped the whole wreath form, check for any gaps and fill in with more yarn.
  3. Start making your felt flowers. Here's a close-up of mine:




  4. I have made several of the white ones before. The tutorial for those is from Infarrantly Creative.

    The brown flower was made the exact same way as the white ones, except I cut the unfolded side instead. I wanted that one to look like a spider mum, but it doesn't really. I think if I'd made the strip of felt wider so that the fringe was longer, it would've achieved that look, but I liked it anyway.

    I followed this tutorial by Positively Splendid for the larger flowers that have buttons on them.

    And for the blue roses, which are my favorite, I followed these instructions from Paper & Stitch. Instead of sewing them, however, I used Fabri-Tac to secure it as I rolled. I used Fabri-Tac for all of these, for that matter.


  5. Secure the flowers to the wreath using Velcro coins unless you're sure you'll never want to change them out, in which case you could use hot glue.
  6. Fold the satin ribbon in half and lay the wreath on top of it with the loop at the top and the open ends showing in the hole of the wreath. Bring the open ends through the wreath's hole, over the top of the wreath and through the loop. Pull to tighten and tie the open ends in a bow.
I hope you enjoy this project as much as I did. Until next time!

22 comments:

  1. Your felt flowers on your wreath are so pretty, like the variety of colors you used and style of flowers. Great project and smart to make so you can use it for other seasons. I love things like that being a sr. citizen with very little disposable income. lol To me it's a challenge to find ways to make things to reuse them. (at least i like to tell myself that, lol) No I really do. It's amazing what not having lots of the green stuff helps you do. I have lots of felt so think I'll be making some of these. I have a wreath I made with burlap strips wound on it and one burlap fuzzy flower. Wonder if the felt flowers will look ok with it. Happy Week

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think felt flowers look good on anything! Let me know how yours turn out!

      Delete
  2. Love this wreath! I have seen a few on pinterest as well and thought they were cute but have never tried my hand at it. Yours turned out wonderful and I love the felt flowers!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh, thank you so much! I kinda wondered if I should re-create the wheel because there are so many of these out there, but I just couldn't resist. I'm glad I made the flowers stick on with velcro though...the wrapping was tedious I have to admit.

      Delete
  3. Gorgeous wreath! I love the colors, especially the gray and blue!

    Navy Wifey Peters @ Submarine Sunday Link Party
    http://usscrafty.blogspot.com/2013/01/submarine-sunday-16.html

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah, that'd be right up the naval alley, I guess! :)

      Delete
  4. Such a warm and inviting wreath to hang on your front door!! Love the colors you chose too! Very well done ;) Thanks for sharing!

    ~Brenda @ChattingOverChocolate.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Brenda. I wanted something muted for winter...I hope to change it out for spring, though!

      Delete
  5. Really, a wonderful wreath. i love that touch of red.
    Nancy
    www.dosmallthingswithlove.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Nancy! I love the name of your blog, btw. :)

      Delete
  6. Such a cute wreath! I would love for you to share this or any of your great ideas at the link party going on now (and every Saturday through Tuesday) at 'Or so she says ...' Also, don't miss the Sweethearts Giveaway starting on Monday with over $2,000 in prizes. Hope to see you there! www.oneshetwoshe.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for visiting, Mariel...I'll have to check that out!

      Delete
  7. Your wreath is gorgeous. I just love the yarn you used, and the colors for the felt flowers. Love, love, love it. Saw you on the DiY Showoff link party. Have a great day.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Aw, thanks for stopping by, Lori, and for your sweet comment.

      Delete
  8. So pretty! I just love your blog. Have a great week!
    Jamie ~ Better With Age

    ReplyDelete
  9. This is so pretty! I love the felt flowers and the color combination you chose.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Michelle! Hope you come back again soon...

      Delete
  10. It's beautiful and cozy and warm. I love it it, Val!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Show and Tell Saturday is LIVE at Sassy Little Lady! I’d love to have you come join the party!

    http://www.sassylittlelady.com/blog/show-and-tell-saturday/show-and-tell-saturday-3

    Kathie

    ReplyDelete

I love reading your comments...and I read each and every one! Since you've taken the time to visit my blog, I'll take the time to respond. Thanks! :)

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...