Thursday, November 1, 2012

Mudroom Closet Updates



Hi everyone! How was your Halloween? Our trick or treating was postponed until Saturday because of the rain and cold, but I'm not complaining. We didn't really want to take our kids out in this weather anyway. Plus, we have power, a dry house, and heat so...no worries.

I wanted to update you on our closet-turned-mudroom. You may remember that my husband removed some closet doors in our narrow foyer awhile back, and built a super-useful drop-zone for our family. It's only taken a year and a half for me to finish painting it. And I finally got around to buying a cushion and making some pillows for the top. So here is the progression...

And here's the front view...although it's not really fair to say that it always looks like the picture on the right. There are coats in there, of course, but I wanted you to see it all pretty.



I ordered the cushion from Hayneedle, a GREAT shopping site with reasonable prices, customer rewards and fast shipping. The pillow in the middle is from Home Goods, and I made the other two out of See Saw fabric in Felix Blue by Premier Prints (found on BeeYourself Fabrics). The blue Ball jar and beachy print are thrift store finds. Here's a closeup of the pillows.



Another side view that shows the framed key pictures I made...



And a view that includes a glimpse of the rugs I bought at Target.



We love it! It's a total lifesaver because we can now drop stuff the second we walk in the door. So until next time...have a great day!

24 comments:

  1. Love your new mudroom! Fabulous work. Luv, Luv, Luv the beadboard and the sign. More importantly, glad you and your family are safe.

    I'm glad I'm not the only one who sometimes takes a long time to complete projects - oh well, they turn out great in the end, right?

    ReplyDelete
  2. So beautiful, and I love the chevron stripes ;)

    ReplyDelete
  3. that looks amazing, what a great use of that space!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I owe the idea to my husband, he was the brains of the operation. I just dressed it up at the end.

      Delete
  4. I love your blog! I'm your newest email and FB follower. I love this idea of turning a closet to mudroom. I'd love for you to link it up to my party at www.houseontheway.com.
    Leslie

    ReplyDelete
  5. This looks great! Those cushions are lovely. :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. I love it, it all looks fabulous! Thanks for sharing at The Fun In Functional!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I love those pillows. They are so pretty.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Found you via simply {you}; love this so much! What a great use of space and it looks like it really opened that area up! Great idea!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much for your visit and taking the time to comment!

      Delete
  9. You did an amazing job! It's so pretty, welcoming and functional. Love it! I'm including a link back in the DIY highlights. Thanks so much for sharing your hard work! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh my goodness, thank you! I'm such a fan of your blog...it's an honor to be featured!

      Delete
  10. Hi Val, I love your new entryway mudroom! I'd love to create something similar in our home. Thanks for the inspiration. I'm a new follower and would love you to drop by my blog some time too. x Julie @ Restyle Relove

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks ever so much! I'll be checking your blog out next.

      Delete
  11. I love this idea! I just found you from the link-up on House of Rose. What did you do with the coats, etc that were in your front hall closet? I would LOVE to do something like this, but I don't know where to put everything!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Well, this is the uncluttered version and it does look more like this in the summer. But right now, we have tons of coats hanging on the pegs and a boot tray underneath. It still functions as a closet for us, but the addition of the bench just makes it prettier and the pegs make it easier for the kids to hang stuff.

      Delete
  12. Awesome idea! I love the beadboard and the cubbies at the bottom!

    ReplyDelete
  13. An awesome use of the space. It looks amazing!! Great job!!
    Ruth

    ReplyDelete
  14. This looks FABULOUS!! I love the beadboard & the fantastic use of space!! So cute & yet so functional!! Thanks so much for sharing & thanks for linking up to the "Organize It" party!!

    ReplyDelete

I love reading your comments...and I read each and every one! Since you've taken the time to visit my blog, I'll take the time to respond. Thanks! :)

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...