Monday, November 12, 2012

Craft of the Week: Copycat Christmas Jars



Happy Monday, everyone! I hope you had a great weekend. I don't know where ours went...it flew by, and I'm sorry to say, I didn't get a whole lot done. But I do have these beauties to share with you today, and I love, love, LOVE the way they turned out. I have plans to use them on our mantel at Christmastime, but I refuse to decorate until after Thanksgiving, so you'll just have to view them like this for now. This Christmas craft is super easy, super cheap, and it even upcycles glass jars, so I guess it's green, too.





My inspiration for this craft originally came from these made by Tortoise and the Hare.



Since then, I've seen similar jars elsewhere around the web, like here, here, and here:


The Inspired Room



Crafts by Amanda



A Bit of Sunshine


Here's how I made mine:

Christmas Tree Jars & Snow-Encrusted Luminaries
Nap Rating = 1 nap

Tools & Materials
  • Glass food jars with labels removed
  • Goo Gone or fingernail polish remover (if necessary to remove labels)
  • Epsom salt
  • Bottle brush trees (I got mine at the Dollar Store and there were 2 in each pack)
  • Spray adhesive
  • Newspaper
  • Spray sealant
  • LED or traditional tea lights

Steps
  1. Wash out glass jars as you use up what's in them (I collected mine all year), and soak them in warm water to make removing the labels easier. If necessary, use some Goo Gone or fingernail polish remover to remove any remaining residue.
  2. For the tree jars, simply pour in some Epsom salts, place the bottle brush trees in the "snow" and you're done.
  3. For the luminaries, spread out some newspaper on your workspace and pour a generous amount of Epsom salts on the paper.
  4. Spray the jar with adhesive and immediately roll it in the "snow." I found that I had to use my hands a little to pour and pat the salts on so I could achieve an encrusted look.
  5. Shake off excess, then dump remaining salts from newspaper. Place jars back on the paper and spray them with clear spray sealant.
  6. Place a tea light in each luminary jar.
I can't wait to see how these look on our mantel. I'm getting kinda sick of our fall stuff now, but I'm holding off on principle. When do you decorate for Christmas?

Linking up at my regular places, as well as:

DIY Show Off DIY Holiday Highlights

29 comments:

  1. I'm TOT making those tree jars for my dining room table. LOVE!!! Which dollar store did you find the trees at?? Saving me money, mama...Mike is loving it :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. LOL! Ok, Epsom salts were from Drug Mart, and I believe I got the trees from the Dollar Store next to Hobby Lobby on 59. Tell Mike "you're welcome." :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. So cute! lmbo at the nap rating!

    ♥Linsey

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Lol, thanks Linsey! It's one feature of my blog that I don't think I'll ever change even tho my kids don't nap anymore. It reminds me of how much can get accomplished when an hour is all u have.

      Delete
  4. Oooh, I love them!! Beautiful job! I am going to scour my local dollar stores in search of those little trees ASAP!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Good luck, I hope you find them where you live!

      Delete
  5. I love these. These are so cute. I have a link party and would love to have you share this and any other posts. It is called Wednesday's Adorned From Above Link Party. The link to the party is
    http://www.adornedfromabove.com/2012/11/wednesdays-adorned-from-above-link_14.html
    I hope to see you there.
    Have a great week.
    Debi @ Adorned From Above

    ReplyDelete
  6. Just beautiful! Simple and elegant and I'll definitely be doing some of these - would be beautiful as a tablescape!
    Thanks so much for sharing - definitely your newest follower -
    Would love to have you come by and follow back when you have the time!
    Hugs from Montreal,
    Suzan

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Aw, thanks, Suzan. I will drop by your blog soon!

      Delete
  7. They look so beautiful, thanks for sharing

    ReplyDelete
  8. I love this look, especially how the white makes it all look so simple and elegant. Great Job!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Those are so cool looking! I love the fake snow, gorgeous!

    Thanks for sharing at The Fun In Functional!

    ReplyDelete
  10. These are sooo beautiful! Visiting from AtoZ, your latest reader

    xoxo, Tanya
    twelveOeight

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Tanya! Hope you come back to visit often!

      Delete
  11. So cute, Val! Love both ideas! Thanks for including your 'how to'! I'm going to include a highlight in this week's white Christmas round up! :)

    ReplyDelete
  12. Val I used your technique with a link to your blog. I really like how they turned out. http://www.cedarhill-ranch.com/2012/12/homemade-snow-globes.html#

    ReplyDelete
  13. What a lovely idea! I am visiting you via Somewhat Simple. I look forward to seeing you at My Dream Canvas. Happy Holidays. Anu

    ReplyDelete
  14. I am hoping you will show your mantel with these beauties lit for Christmas.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sadly, I never lit them. Next year for sure! I had a hard time finding battery-operated votives that were strong enough. We enjoyed them unlit anyway.

      Delete
  15. I AM SO THRILLED TO FIND THIS CRAFT !!!! THANK YOU VERY MUCH..MERRY CHRISTMAS AND GOD BLESS YOU AND FAMILY THROUGH THE COMING NEW YEAR.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for visiting! Happy New Year to you, too.

      Delete

I love reading your comments...and I read each and every one! Since you've taken the time to visit my blog, I'll take the time to respond. Thanks! :)

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...