Tuesday, October 30, 2012

Pinterest Challenge! Bar Stool Table



So I saw this clever table (below) on Pinterest and immediately pinned it because I knew we had a lone bar stool in our basement that I could employ.



Interestingly enough, we also had a round tabletop left over from one of those decorator tables you're supposed to cover with a round tablecloth. I had no idea at the time whether or not the table top would be the right dimensions for the bar stool but figured I'd dig them out and see some day.

Happily, I eventually found that it indeed would work, and it was just the right height for the other side of our bed! So I got to work. First I sanded and primed both pieces. The table top, however, was made out of that really rough chip board (I think that's what you call it), and it just wouldn't sand out smooth. I had plans to stencil the top, but that just wasn't gonna work. So, I went to plan B and decided to cover the top with fabric so I could achieve a smooth finish. This worked out great! So after spray painting the stool, I Mod Podged fabric onto the table top. My husband cut shelves to fit on the rungs, which I also primed and painted. Now...what to do with the edge of the table top that still looked chippy? I tried painting it, but it just wouldn't accept paint very well. So I bought some nailhead trim and that finished it off perfectly.



Now I'm happy. What do you think?



Here's my process:

Bar Stool Table
Nap Rating = 5 or more (This was definitely a more time-intensive project, and it was hard to determine a nap rating because there was so much stopping and starting. Paint, dry time, layer of mod podge, dry time, more paint, dry time...just take it one step at a time and you'll eventually finish!)

Tools & Materials
  • Bar stool
  • Round table top
  • Sanding sponge
  • Primer
  • Paintbrush
  • Spray paint in color of your choice (I used heirloom white)
  • One yard of fabric
  • Fabric pencil if you have one (but I just used a pen)
  • Scissors
  • Mod Podge (gloss finish)
  • 400 grit sand paper
  • Steel wool
  • Spray sealer
  • Nail head trim (I used Dritz Nailhead Trim in antique brass and was super-happy with it. I purchased it at Jo-Anns, where it sells for $19.99, but I had a 40% off coupon. It's great because you only have to tack in every third nailhead using pre-spaced holes. So easy!)
  • Tack hammer
  • Plywood (we had some scrap)
  • Power saw
  • Wood glue or Liquid Nails

I'd like to include a little breakdown of my costs. I don't always do this because my projects are typically pretty cheap, but this one was pricier. I spent a little over $30 on the whole thing, which is still pretty good for a new table and I love that I got the stool out of our basement where it was just taking up space.

Costs

Stool and table top--Free! (from our basement)
Plywood--Free! (Neighbors were moving and they were gonna throw it out.)
Fabric--$5
Spray paint--$6
Steel wool and sandpaper--$8.50
Nailhead trim--$12 (It's usually $19.99 but I had a coupon)
MY TOTAL = $31.50

I had everything else already, and I suspect you may, too, if you're following this blog. But if you have to buy everything, this project could be cost-prohibitive. I mean, if you have to buy the stool...it might not make sense to tackle this particular project since you could buy a brand new table for less than the cost of materials. Just think it through is all I'm sayin'.

Steps
  1. Measure the space between the rungs on your stool and cut plywood to fit using a power saw.
  2. Lightly sand your stool and shelves with a sanding sponge.
  3. Paint the stool, shelves, and table top with one coat of primer. Let dry completely.
  4. Spray paint the stool, shelves and table top with one to two coats of semi-gloss spray paint in color of your choice. Let dry completely.
  5. When the table top is completely dry, lay it on top of your fabric and trace the circumference with a fabric pencil (or pen).
  6. Cut the circle from the fabric.
  7. Coat the table top with a thin layer of Mod Podge and lay the fabric circle on top.
  8. Coat the top of the fabric with another thin layer of Mod Podge and let dry.
  9. Repeat step 8 at least 3 more times, letting each coat dry about 30 minutes.
  10. Wet sand the table top using the 400 grit sandpaper. I just used a spray bottle to spritz the sandpaper a little and then rubbed the whole table in a circular motion.
  11. Wipe the table dry with a paper towel.
  12. Rub the table top with steel wool to polish it even more.
  13. Finally, spray the table top with a clear sealant and let dry.
  14. Using a tack hammer, apply the nail head trim to the edge of the table top.
  15. Assemble the table by applying wood glue or Liquid Nails to the stool seat and placing the table top on top. You may have to do this with the shelves as well, but ours fit so snugly, I didn't see a need.

So that's it! I'll show you some updated pics of our bedroom at some point. I really like how this turned out.



I'm participating in...



The hosts of this challenge have whipped up some awesome projects, of course. Here they are:

Young House Love
The Ugly Duckling House
Bower Power
Our Fifth House

Also linking up to The Inspired Room and

10 comments:

  1. This is an awesome idea! Looks great!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Allyson! I appreciate you stopping by!

      Delete
  2. Way cool, I love how it turned out! Thanks for sharing at The Fun In Functional!

    ReplyDelete
  3. What an absolutely stupendous idea to make a cast off bar stool into a table. Love,love it and love how you glammed it up to look so great. Now I've gotta find an old bar stool.
    Shoot there was one at the thrift store last week. Bummer. Have to grab those things when you see them or on Wed. when they reopen for the week they go quick. I tend to wait til Friday to go as Wed. are really wild in there. I'm not into the crowd thing anymore. Happy Week

    ReplyDelete
  4. What a great idea! Love the nailhead finish too. I'm putting your table in the Spotlight this weekend at Domestically Speaking. Thanks for linking up...

    ReplyDelete
  5. Beautiful! Awesome idea! I'd like to invite you to link it up to my Twirl & Take a Bow party at www.houseontheway.com. Hope you can stop by!
    Leslie

    ReplyDelete
  6. I love this. I've turned a few bar stools in to tables myself but I've never added the fabric to the top. What a great idea. I'm your newest follower. Come check out my blog when you have a minute at http://sister-number-5.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  7. Great idea. Your table looks terrific!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Soo clever. Love it!

    Katie
    www.funhomethings.com

    ReplyDelete

I love reading your comments...and I read each and every one! Since you've taken the time to visit my blog, I'll take the time to respond. Thanks! :)

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...