Wednesday, July 18, 2012

Z Gallerie Knock-Off: Eye Chart Tray

I'm in love with the technique of transfering images and graphics to stuff using just a pencil! I told you how I did this with my toolbox turned planter, I've also used it to create a growth chart (which I'll share at some point), and now I've just transformed a tray using the same process. So easy! I found some old TV trays at a garage sale for 50 cents each so I snapped them up because I love spray painting these old trays for so many uses. (Hmmm...I smell a post idea.) Anyway, the inspiration for this project came from the tray I had seen on Z Gallerie, pictured above. And here's mine:

Z Gallerie Knock-Off: Eye Chart Tray
Nap Rating = 2 naps (factoring in dry-time)

Tools & Materials
  • Tray (could be metal or wood)
  • Sandpaper
  • Spray paint in cream or white
  • Access to a photocopier (possibly)
  • Pencil
  • Painter's tape
  • Sharpie or other permanent marker like this one
  • Spray sealer


Steps
  1. Lightly sand your tray if it has chipped paint or rust on it. Wipe it with a damp towel and let dry.
  2. Spray paint your tray and let dry overnight.
  3. Find an image for an eye chart online (I used Google Images) and print it out. You may need to enlarge it with a copier. I did.
  4. Using a pencil, color the back of the graphic like I did here.
  5. Turn the graphic right side up again, and center it on the tray. Use painter's tape to secure it.
  6. With a pencil, trace the outline of the letters. The pencil on the back of the paper will transfer to the tray.
  7. Remove the paper, and using the permanent marker or paint pen, fill the graphic in.
  8. Spray the tray with sealer.

I put my new creation on our bedside table and it kinda makes me laugh because, incidentally, I'm blind as a bat when I wake up and have to fumble for my glasses. Get it? I love it when I make something that has an ironic or secret meaning to me or my family.



Entered into this great contest:


Shared at the thrifty project party at Our Fifth House.

36 comments:

  1. Simply put...Love love love it!!!!
    Rhiannon

    ReplyDelete
  2. amidst my adoration of your tray, I forgot to mention that I had selected you as the recipient of the Versatile Blogger Award. You can read more about it here...
    http://beingmomme.blogspot.com/2012/07/bloggers-are-best.html
    Happy Wednesday!
    Rhiannon

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh my gosh I'm so honored!! Thank you ever so much.

      Delete
  3. This is absolutely fantastic. I am so copying this, hope you don't mind. I have this large tin tray that I could not figure out what to do with. Thank you!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I not only dont mind, I hope you'll show me how yours turns out! Thx!!

      Delete
  4. Love it! We used the pencil transfer technique all the time in school, but I had completely forgotten about it. What a great use of both the technique & that tray!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know, right? So simple! Thx for visiting!

      Delete
  5. I like yours even better. And I would never have guessed that that is permanent marker that's so smart!

    marissa
    http://raegunwear.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ah, thanks, Marissa! I checked out your blog, too, and loved it. I'm a new follower. I used to be a teen librarian before having kids, so it sounds like we have more than crafting in common. :)

      Delete
  6. This looks fantastic! I can see a spray-painted cookie sheet being redone this way and looking great. I'm blind as a bat too, so that should make me hate eye charts but I love them!

    Visiting from your TT&J feature! Congrats!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Clarie, thanks for visiting! I've been a fan of your blog for awhile now, so I'm flattered you took the time to check mine out. I was so happy for the TT&J feature...made my day. BTW, you're right, cookie sheets would work perfectly for this craft as well. Easier to find, too. Take care!

      Delete
  7. This is so fun! I had never seen the technique you used before and it sounds like something I can definitely do with all the metal trays I have accumulated...

    Hope it is okay that I pinned your image to one of my Pinterest boards and, of course, linked it to your post/tutorial....Thanks for sharing...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's absolutely ok, and thank you! I'm flattered by your comment, and grateful for your visit. Hope you come back again!

      Delete
  8. Permanent marker makes it so much easier to make! LOVE it!

    ReplyDelete
  9. What a fab knock off! I love it!! Megan

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Megan! I'm flattered you stopped by...I've admired your blog for awhile now.

      Delete
  10. It's sooo cute! I saw that tray in a magazine and had circled it as cute... Now I know how to make my own replica... Thank you!!!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Love your project-- so well done! I am visiting from Under the Table and Dreaming Sunday Link Party...I'm late but showed up with my caramel cake! ;)

    All the best!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Knock offs are fun! You did a great job on this one too. I think I like it better than the original and that's the the best part! Please come hang out and link up to our link party "Home is Where the Heart is" Please feel free to link up any posts you might want to share! :)
    http://www.homesteadsimple.com/home-is-where-the-heart-is-link-it-up-wednesdays-3/

    ReplyDelete
  13. What a great idea! I need to try this! I would love for you to come link up your blog to my Get social Sunday link party!

    http://alivedinhome.blogspot.com/2012/08/get-social-sunday.html

    ReplyDelete
  14. Permanent marker?! Brilliant idea!! This is such a fabulous idea! I am going to be scouting out TV trays this weekend! Come link up to Centerpiece Wednesday and share your idea with us.
    Karin

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Karin! I'll check out your blog ASAP!

      Delete
  15. Oh my gosh I love this! How awesome are you with this super nifty project. I am filing this away for a "must do". Great blog!
    www.itsybitsypaperblog.com

    ReplyDelete
  16. I love knock off projects (crazy prices and saying "I can make that!") and this is awesome! Beautiful job!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much! I'm so honored you stopped by. Thx for hosting!!

      Delete
  17. That's one of my favorite stores and I love your knock-off! Great tutorial! I'd love for you to share it at my blog party, Twirl & Take a Bow at www.houseontheway.com. It's every Tuesday. I hope you can stop by!
    Leslie

    ReplyDelete
  18. I'm going to buy a tray at Hobby Lobby this weekend, and do just THIS with it. It's amazing!

    ReplyDelete
  19. Visiting from the Thrift It link party..your tray looks great!

    ReplyDelete
  20. It looks great. Did you happen to notice the phrase that was spelled out on the original eye chart tray?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I did, but not until someone else pointed it out. Ha! The irony!

      Delete

I love reading your comments...and I read each and every one! Since you've taken the time to visit my blog, I'll take the time to respond. Thanks! :)

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...